Saturday, April 19, 2008

Up Close and Personal

I'm pretty sure every teen's mother has told them this. Or maybe it was just mine. But whenever I wanted to do something that "everyone else" was doing, my mom would respond, "If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump off too?" To which I eventually replied, "Yes. Because if I didn't I obviously wouldn't have any friends left." So there.

But now I can legitimately and truthfully answer a resounding, "YES. Yes, if all my friends jumped off a bridge, I would jump off that bridge too."

I jumped off a bridge yesterday. I honestly can't believe I did so because I'm scared of heights and don't really like jumping off things. Especially things that are 30-40 feet off the ground. Maybe my subconscious was dreading finals. Who knows. But I did it!

Unfortunately, it didn't go as planned. I really shouldn't try feats like this. Some of you may remember the time I "fell" off a skateboard while going down a large hill and landed on my knee, and was barely able to walk a few days later. In fact, some of my friends had to carry me up the stairs one time (thank you, I am forever indebted-- if it were not for you, I might still be in the cafeteria at HL).

This time, I leaped off the bridge (after only 1 false start) and began my rapid descent. I suddenly got freaked out and started waving my arms, which propelled me slightly backwards. Right before I hit the icy waters below, I remembered that I should point my toes. This is where the "unfortunately" kicks in. I landed in the water in a sitting position. I, of course, mentally panic as I realize I've hit the water the wrong way. I had visions of Joni Ericson Tada floating through my mind.

"Maybe I'm paralyzed!!" I frantically thought as I swam to the surface. I quickly realized the ridiculousness of this thought, and instantly calmed, though I continued swimming rapidly. Have I mentioned how cold it was? It was difficult to breathe, and my arms were numb as I swam quickly toward the rock on which everyone else was standing.

My friends were concerned, and asked if I was ok. I assured them I was, though I was thinking, in a very intellectual fashion, "OUCH and COLD." Though it stung, I didn't think my legs were going to be too bad. As we walked back to the car about 20-30 minutes later, however, I realized that this was not going to be a pretty sight. Every step hurt.

As the evening progressed, my legs turned more and more black and blue. The bruising still continues to spread down my leg. Honestly though, it's a pretty good battle wound, definitely the best I've ever had. I just hope it stays above my knees because I am wearing a pretty knee-length dress on Thurday for Sr. Banquet, and, vainly, I do not want black and blue blotches on my legs.

So that was my adventure. I finished my last classes of my undergraduate career, and then jumped off a bridge. Awesome.

This is my friend Karissa jumping off the bridge. She was uninjured. I am the one on the bridge; this was Karissa's second jump, and I was not about to go again. Though I actually did contemplate it... =)















Left leg. Right leg.





1 comment:

burndive said...

A young Dilbert approaches his mom and asks her, "Mom, can I go skateboarding at the construction site?"

"No," says mom.

"Why not? Everyone else does it."

"If everyone jumped off a cliff, would you do that?"

"Well, that would depend on many factors, including height, training, and equipment. But if 100% of the people who jumped off cliffs said they enjoyed it, as in my skateboard example, then I would conclude that it was safe. A better question might have been, 'If everyone wore clothes, would you do that?" Dilbert replies, and then, alone in the last panel, thinks, "Her credibility gets worse every day."