Monday, August 25, 2008

Percolate Your Mind: Creepy Beepy

Sadly, the first story is a bit creepy. I guess one of the down sides of being a young, friendly, female barista is the comments/attitudes of the weird middle-aged men. Anyway.

This one guy, we'll call him "Joe," comes in every weekend for a sugar-free soy mocha, extra hot. He's writing a book, so he works on that for a few hours every Saturday and Sunday. A couple weeks ago, I was explaining to him that I was home alone because the rest of my family was gone to church camp; I had to stay home to work.

He said-- yes, he said this-- "You should do what I do when I am home alone. I take off all my clothes and walk around the house with no clothes on."

I was caught off guard a bit, and stammered something about not really wanting to do that, I'm not that "free" or something. Apparently disregarding my discomfort, he kept going on and on and on about this. AND in front of another regular customer. So awkward.

And then yesterday, after I had made him his second sugar-free soy mocha, extra hot, he took a sip and asked me if I could make it hotter-- it was already over 160 degrees. I explained that I had heated it as hot as I could without scalding the milk... if I steam it too much, the milk burns. He was bummed, though I told him I would do it anyway of he really wanted. He acquisted to my suggestion of not heating it more, but then he reached across into the little employee area, and tweaked my nose. What. the. heck. I quickly backed away and playfully laughed, "Hey, that's mine!" I hope he got the hint.

Life Lesson: Stay a bit over an arms length away from Joe.

----

Here's something dumb I did yesterday though. As every coffee shop probably has, we have a well with running water in which we keep our spoons and such while we're not using them. It has a little rubber spigot thing (doesn't the word "spigot" look strange?) which dumps in the water. I was attempting to adjust it yesterday because somehow it was leaking all over the counter, soaking a book my co-worker had set there. As I messed with this small hose, I accidently pointed it straight at my face, soaking myself with water. At least the customer who was waiting for his drink was entertained.

And this book that got soaked... my coworker Kayleigh really wanted to dry it off... by putting it in the toaster!! I firmly said, "No, I'm pretty sure it will catch on fire. If I can light bagels on fire, then the book will catch fire rather quickly. And it won't go out for a long time." She wasn't convinced, and kept contemplating putting the book through the toaster so it would dry out. I did talk her out of it in the end, but can you imagine if she had toasted it? Ridiculous!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are quite amusing! keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

OK not only is that creepy I think it easily borders on harrassment - if not there already. I suggest telling a co-worker what's going on and asking someone else to make this guy's coffee next time. *GAG*

Anonymous said...

And did you choose the creepy, middle-aged guy's name for any particular reason? *snicker* =)

Stephanator said...

ok, actually, that's really his name. =)
and he creeps the other girls out too, so it's whoever happens to be out in the front, or whoever feels like being nice to their coworker.

Stephanator said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hey congrats on getting your job! :)